Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Moss Family Adventure

The Moss Family Adventure
Early Saturday Morning

I woke up at 1 in the morning after going to sleep around 9:30, I had gotten up to use the toilet and had to fiddle around with the flushing mechanism, and then I looked in the living room and saw Joey on the couch. So I ended up laying him inside our bed and by then I was good and awake. Then I tried to lay back down but I couldn't fall back asleep, plus I hear every half hour the security guard for our apartments and his radio squawking and beeping and I also hear him.." CINCO NUEVE" I guess 5 9 is his number. He also cleans up at night so I will hear him sweeping the sidewalks and parking lot, the first night we were here I heard this at 2 am and I saw his shadow through our window and I was disoriented and I was very scared. So now I am up and posting on the blog, I think I will get some rest later on I don't have to work today.

The YWAM base has been a hive of activity as we get ready for the YWAM DNA conference, Loren Cunningham the founder of YWAM is coming to speak and the occasion has been used to launch a conference for all the Latin American YWAM base leaders to come and hear about the foundational values of Youth With A Mission. Hopefully I will be able to sit in on sessions, I am going to be busy cooking though. I have a lot of helpers in the kitchen which is good. I have really been learning this week about how to find jobs for people to do and pointing them in the right direction, and also rapidly training people who aren't really experts at cooking in the secrets of producing large quantities of food. As long as the helpers have a good attitude things go super good. Last nights dinner went smooth as silk, we served beef and chicken Kabobs with Teryaki sauce, baked potatoes, and sauteed vegetables. It really was a team effort though and the DTS students did all the hard grunt work that takes a lot of time, also Misty was in there with me for an hour and a half after lunch cutting onions and Peppers for the Kabobs. We had everything ready for the students when they started at 3:30. Breakfast was also a blast, we have different people from the base working different mornings, and yesterday we had a lot of fun together getting the meal out. The equipment we have is another story; I feel like I'm trying to compete in the Indianapolis 500 with a beat up old Dodge Dart, but hopefully by the grace of God we will get through this week. Meanwhile I hear the voice of Scotty from Star Trek in my head... "I'm giving it all she's got Captain... I can't defy the laws of physics" or to to paraphrase Bones... "I'm a cook not a magician Jim!"

Here's some extra excitement, our back door to the kitchen is directly on the street (dirt road) that goes to the beach, there is a semi violent "homeless" guy that shows up and has been a nuisance and actually spit on one of the girls that works in the kitchen, so if he ends up coming back inside the kitchen I have to grab him and get the police here to take him to jail. The same jail I visited 12 years ago when I went on my first mission trip ever. If that ever happens I will make a post about the experience, I just worry about what may happen and I hope I dont get hurt or in trouble when it all goes down.

More excitement... my cousin Jimmie is supposed to get back from Iraq today, he has been there for the past 8 months. we will be seeing him soon right after my birthday. We got to visit a bunch when he was in Sparks last January when my grandmother died, sad occasion but afterwards it was a great experience getting to kinow him, we ate, had fun, visited other relatives, did a lot of talking. We also laughed a lot... a whole lot, I never have laughed so hard as when he was making fun of Bruce Jenner when we were watching SKATING WITH THE STARS, Bruce was skating to the song from AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN and Jimmie was just going off about Bruce and his Navy uniform.

I will post again later with more interesting stuff, about Joey and Emily

No comments: